Friday, July 22, 2005

Haircut

I'm one of those guys contented with a boring haircut. Been this way since Primary One. For over two decades, I've been a regular patron of one of the neighbourhood 'Mat' barber shops and it's always the usual 'trim only'. There's a strange charm about mat barber shops. Something about being addressed 'Hey, Brudder...', listening to the barbers' idle banter about soccer and the hi-fi playing hits from SCORPION and DEEP PURPLE (and sometimes Malay ballads). Charming.

Then some years back, those 'HAIRCUT FOR $10 IN 10 MINUTES' outlets sprung up everywhere. In October 2003, I 'turned my back' on the mat barber shop and gave one of the 'SPEED' outlets a try. Been a convert eversince. These SPEED hairstylists have occasionally persuaded me to do something different to my 'boring haircut'. One suggested I should keep my hair longer but I explained with my kind of face, I would only end up looking like a 'sum-seng'. Another was quick to point out that I cannot cut my hair too short, because:



Brudder, gimme the usual 'trim only' and I happy liao.

7 comments:

louist said...

i still support my local mat barber! but i'm kinda irritated by the time they take to cut my hair. it takes, like, forever. including the waiting time. it can stretch to more than an hour, just for a haircut!

so, overall you'd recommend the quickcut type?

Comic Guy said...

Well, time was a decisive factor for me to check out one of those quick-cut outlets. The mat barber shop sometimes takes a rather long (including waiting time like you said)to get things done.

In past experiences, the barber would go out midway for a cigarette or meet someone to buy 4D or ToTo for him. I mean it's like that for over two decades and I've more or less gotten used to it. However, I felt it's time my mat barber shop re-evaluate their definition of service and efficiency.

The quick-cut hairstylists have been efficient and consistent all this while.

Unknown said...

Ha Ha. I also got that pock remark from a barber. Maybe it is the same person. :)

professor said...

Actually, the trend nowadays is salons opening in HDB estates charging same prices as barbers, i.e. $10 for men's haircut. Not bad, the pretty hairstylists..eh..haha. it's comparable actually. Cheaper than those posh ones found in shopping centres.

This is Ed said...

Except tt the hairstylists cut so fast tt I'm worried if he/she is gonna nick my ear. When I ask them to slow down, they don't - the last time, the retort was "we v. skillful one, more than 20years of experience". Glad to report my ears are safe & sound.

fsnow said...

The "Pock" reminds me of a bad haircut I once had at the hand of a mat barber. He's mat alright but apparently, not mat enough to be a good barber :(

Anyway, later, I found that others share my pain:

Some of the worst mistakes of my life have been haircuts.
Jim Morrison

TheEspian said...

Another gravedigger drops by.

Yea man my hair also triggers the POCK remark every so often. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...